A traditional accompaniment to fish dishes, make your own tartare sauce at home with this simple recipe – which produces a deliciously thick and tangy sauce. Mayo, capers and cornichons make up the bulk of flavour in this recipe. The mayo gives this sauce it’s creamy texutre and the capers give it a peppery, fishy bite. This dish is classically served with fish, chips and mushy peas. Tartare sauce is best served the day it’s made but can keep in the fridge covered with clingfilm for about 2 days.
- 4 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 level tbsp capers, drained and chopped
- 3-4 cornichons, chopped (
- 1 spring onion, finely chopped
- 1 level tbsp chopped fresh parsley or tarragon
- Salt and ground black pepper