Caramelised red onion and chicken liver pâté
The caramelised red onions give this lovely chicken liver pâté a delicious touch of sweetness. Rich and creamy, this pâté is extremely moreish and is great enjoyed on wholemeal toast or crunchy bread with salad. Perfect as a special dinner party starter, it is full of flavour. Alternatively, make a little extra and put some in the freezer for a wonderful treat any time. Packed with port, garlic, lemon thyme and a kick of Worcestershire sauce, you’ll find it hard to resist.
- 150g butter
- 2 medium-sized red onions, finely chopped
- 2tbsp light soft brown sugar
- 125ml water
- 500g chicken livers
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1tbsp chopped fresh lemon thyme
- 5 slices of white bread, blended into breadcrumbs
- 1tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 300ml double cream
- 1tbsp port
- A little salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- A bay leaf to garnish